Monday, November 28, 2005

Content Management Systems

I know. This sounds boring and would seem like something that would not come out of my mouth. But I came across this term when I had to face with reality of the amount of content that I want to put up on the web for all to see and how I would be able to manage it.

Most of what I put on the net is through this blog, the sister blogs (
Universe of StarWars, Roleplayers' Rantings), the webcomic (Firman Tales), and the forum based roleplaying game (Chaos And Order). Now, as you can see, these are all good in they are taken in parts, or atleast fairly good. But, as most of them are related topics, intermingling with each other, I would also like to provide with a portal, that puts them all together. Something dynamic, so that I do not need to go about coding the HTML or whatever just to include more content. And all this lead to a logical conclusion, Content Management System (CMS).

Now that I got the jargon, it was hard for me to understand the underlying principles in this matter. Scourging the results page of Google, after some effort got me to some good pages that would explain me the fundamentals of CMS. One of the Article that really caught my attention was
'CMS and the Single Web Designer' by James Ellis.

He goes about explaining how a group of people, designer, editor and authors can create a good website, if provided with a proper CMS, that all would find good use of.

My approach now in this matter would be to a very simple CMS, where designer, editor and author would be myself and the audience would be the rest of the world. This would be a bit of over-simplification, but this done, details could be added later by successive designing over the older one, or by redesigning. The redesignin may seem as a lot of work, but the whole process, in my opinion gives a lot of scope for learning.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]